You have a website? Great! But can people find you doing a Google search?
There are a few easy SEO (search engine optimization) tactics you can do to help searchers find your site:
- Make sure your meta data is specific. Your site title, keywords and image alt tags should have similar keywords so that Google knows what your site is about and will serve it up to people searching for businesses like yours or products you offer. Think like your customer and build your meta data from that. If you are a local business, be sure to include the city and state.
- Links. Have some good inbound links (social platforms like Facebook and Twitter are a good place for this) and outbound links to reputable and related sources.
- Create a Google My Business page. This will show your page on a search map for better visibility. Another important thing to add to your Google My Business page is reviews, so don’t be afraid to ask for them! Then you will get those fancy stars next to your search listing!
- Make sure your site is responsive or has a mobile version. Mobile search has surpassed desktop, so if your site is not mobile friendly, you may be losing potential customers.
- More relevant content. Google rewards those who have lots of good content, and those who consistently add fresh content. A blog is a great way to accomplish this.
SEO is important but always think about making the site better for viewers, not for Google. Keep in mind, there’s always room for improvement, so you’d be doing yourself a disservice by creating a beautiful site and just letting it sit there.